oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org

A list for people interested in developing the OVAL language.

View all threads

Cisco IOS <router_test> question(s)

WM
William Munyan
Fri, Dec 1, 2017 2:43 PM

OVAL developers,

I am taking a bit of a closer look at the Cisco IOS <router_test> and am needing some help.  The <router_object> defines the <id> element, which is noted as an "int", however, in some of my configurations for the various routers and protocols, I am seeing router sections configured as:
router eigrp foo
and
router rip

alongside others which seem to match the "int" definition of the <id> field:
router ospf 1
and
router bgp 1

Does the schema need to change to allow either a "string" or and "int" value for the <id> field?

Thanks for any comments!
Cheers,
-Bill M

Bill Munyan
Technical Product Executive; Security Controls & Automation
31 Tech Valley Drive
East Greenbush, NY 12061

william.munyan@cisecurity.orgmailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org
518 880-0690
518 466-1160 (cell)
[CIS_WEB_Logo_Type_RGB_Flat]https://www.cisecurity.org/
[CIS Email Icons 01_23-02] https://www.facebook.com/CenterforIntSec    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-03] https://twitter.com/CISecurity    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-04] https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCISecurity    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-05] https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-center-for-internet-security

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

PK
Panos Kampanakis (pkampana)
Mon, Dec 4, 2017 5:26 PM

Hi Bill,

I think when updating the Cisco schemata we indeed were focusing on router process ids used in the config (like BGP, EIGRP etc that you showed). We didn't pay attention to instances like rip or pseudonames for eigrp. I don't think these configs are used often, but someone that wants to be able to collect such system characteristics would indeed need a schema update.

Rgs,
Panos

[CIS Email Icons 01_23-02] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/O5JXBwUg3Z8c2?domain=facebook.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-03] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/9XN9B0fGz7QFR?domain=twitter.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-04] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/lNpeBgUEAJ9F2?domain=youtube.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-05] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/zN8gBwUpVz0cv?domain=linkedin.com

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

PK
Panos Kampanakis (pkampana)
Mon, Dec 4, 2017 5:34 PM

[CIS Email Icons 01_23-02] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/3RvDBzfA152hw?domain=facebook.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-03] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/qO52BxuRDxXiz?domain=twitter.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-04] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/4QN8BZiLpg2IW?domain=youtube.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-05] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/dqpZB0SEXQRIQ?domain=linkedin.com

[CIS Email Icons 01_23-02] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/qO52BxuRDxZu9?domain=facebook.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-03] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/4QN8BZiLpgQHg?domain=twitter.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-04] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/dqpZB0SEXQqHm?domain=youtube.com    [CIS Email Icons 01_23-05] https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/DzeKBdIQD06HE?domain=linkedin.com

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

DS
David Solin
Tue, Dec 5, 2017 9:21 PM

Bill, do you want to add an issue to OVALProject/Language to make the router_object/id entity nillable?  I think that would address the flaw.

—David Solin

<image001.png> https://www.cisecurity.org/
<image002.png> https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/7GXMBYfVOv1Fk?domain=facebook.com    <image003.png> https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/EJReB8uxnDec1?domain=twitter.com  <image004.png> https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/RKg5BJU3JmKcW?domain=youtube.com    <image005.png> https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/vlqXBpTp5rJTl?domain=linkedin.com

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

OVAL_Developer mailing list
OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org

WM
William Munyan
Wed, Dec 6, 2017 1:54 AM

Done.  https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/298

Cheers,
-Bill M.

<image002.png>https://www.facebook.com/CenterforIntSec    <image003.png>https://twitter.com/CISecurity  <image004.png>https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCISecurity    <image005.png>https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-center-for-internet-security