oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org

A list for people interested in developing the OVAL language.

View all threads

OVAL 5.11.2 Update

DS
David Solin
Wed, Sep 7, 2016 2:02 AM

Greetings OVAL Developers,

At the last OVAL board meeting I volunteered to do the work required for the 5.11.2 revision of the OVAL language.  For this revision, I have gone through the entire back-log of 100+ open issues on the OVAL Language Github site.  Members of the OVAL community (i.e., people receiving this message) are welcome to check out the branch I’m working on and review the changes I have made. See:
https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/tree/5.11.2

A number of the outstanding issues were already implemented in the language (I have closed them).  Others were well-specified and have virtually no impact on existing uses of the language (e.g., the addition of new item entities, bug fixes in documentation, and bug fixes that are required for features that are otherwise not usable), and I have scheduled those for inclusion in 5.11.2.  You can see that list here:
https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A5.11.2

For each issue scheduled, there is also a corresponding commit to the 5.11.2 branch that incorporates those changes.  If you have a problem with or question about a change I have made, please make a comment on the relevant issue on the Github site.

There’s another category of issues which I’ll call “good ideas that we really need to add ASAP”, but which could have an impact on existing content.  Fortunately I’ve encountered only two of these:
https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/192
https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/238

I am working with RedHat on issue #238, although if anyone else has produced content for the linux:rpmverifyfile_test, please let me know so that I can add you to that conversation.  If we make the change, I want to be reasonably certain we won’t prevent anyone's existing content from running properly in a 5.11.2 interpreter.

Issue #192 is nuanced, and deals with the representation of certain negative 32-bit values in XML.  If you’ve implemented any Windows tests and wondered for yourself about whether you should be checking for a value of -1 or 4294967295, then you might want to weigh in on this change.

Additional changes are also under consideration, such as the new schema for Docker, using negative values for textfilecontent54/instance entities to search backwards through files, etc.  I will also be making a few new proposals myself in the next few days.

Best regards,
—David Solin

David A. Solin
Co-Founder, Research & Technology
solin@jovalcm.com mailto:solin@jovalcm.com
http://jovalcm.com/
  https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

[...]
AM
Adam Montville
Mon, Nov 28, 2016 5:56 PM

Has anyone any comment on the 5.11.2 branch David has updated?

From: OVAL_Developer oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org on behalf of David Solin solin@jovalcm.com
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM
To: OVAL Developer List oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org
Subject: [OVAL DEVELOPER] OVAL 5.11.2 Update

[...]

[oval Continuous Monitoring]http://jovalcm.com
[acebook] https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm [inkedin] https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

. . .

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

. . .

Has anyone any comment on the 5.11.2 branch David has updated? From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM To: OVAL Developer List <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: [OVAL DEVELOPER] OVAL 5.11.2 Update Greetings OVAL Developers, At the last OVAL board meeting I volunteered to do the work required for the 5.11.2 revision of the OVAL language. For this revision, I have gone through the entire back-log of 100+ open issues on the OVAL Language Github site. Members of the OVAL community (i.e., people receiving this message) are welcome to check out the branch I’m working on and review the changes I have made. See: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/tree/5.11.2 A number of the outstanding issues were already implemented in the language (I have closed them). Others were well-specified and have virtually no impact on existing uses of the language (e.g., the addition of new item entities, bug fixes in documentation, and bug fixes that are required for features that are otherwise not usable), and I have scheduled those for inclusion in 5.11.2. You can see that list here: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A5.11.2 For each issue scheduled, there is also a corresponding commit to the 5.11.2 branch that incorporates those changes. If you have a problem with or question about a change I have made, please make a comment on the relevant issue on the Github site. There’s another category of issues which I’ll call “good ideas that we really need to add ASAP”, but which could have an impact on existing content. Fortunately I’ve encountered only two of these: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/192 https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/238 I am working with RedHat on issue #238, although if anyone else has produced content for the linux:rpmverifyfile_test, please let me know so that I can add you to that conversation. If we make the change, I want to be reasonably certain we won’t prevent anyone's existing content from running properly in a 5.11.2 interpreter. Issue #192 is nuanced, and deals with the representation of certain negative 32-bit values in XML. If you’ve implemented any Windows tests and wondered for yourself about whether you should be checking for a value of -1 or 4294967295, then you might want to weigh in on this change. Additional changes are also under consideration, such as the new schema for Docker, using negative values for textfilecontent54/instance entities to search backwards through files, etc. I will also be making a few new proposals myself in the next few days. Best regards, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [oval Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [acebook] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [inkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> ... . . . ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...
AM
Adam Montville
Tue, Nov 29, 2016 2:24 PM

Hi.  If you have reviewed the 5.11.2 branch in GitHub, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Adam

From: Adam Montville Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org
Date: Monday, November 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM
To: David Solin solin@jovalcm.com, OVAL Developer List oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org
Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] OVAL 5.11.2 Update

Has anyone any comment on the 5.11.2 branch David has updated?

From: OVAL_Developer oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org on behalf of David Solin solin@jovalcm.com
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM
To: OVAL Developer List oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org

[...]

[cebook] https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm [nkedin] https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

. . .

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

. . .

Hi. If you have reviewed the 5.11.2 branch in GitHub, please let me know. Kind regards, Adam From: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org> Date: Monday, November 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com>, OVAL Developer List <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] OVAL 5.11.2 Update Has anyone any comment on the 5.11.2 branch David has updated? From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM To: OVAL Developer List <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: [OVAL DEVELOPER] OVAL 5.11.2 Update Greetings OVAL Developers, At the last OVAL board meeting I volunteered to do the work required for the 5.11.2 revision of the OVAL language. For this revision, I have gone through the entire back-log of 100+ open issues on the OVAL Language Github site. Members of the OVAL community (i.e., people receiving this message) are welcome to check out the branch I’m working on and review the changes I have made. See: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/tree/5.11.2 A number of the outstanding issues were already implemented in the language (I have closed them). Others were well-specified and have virtually no impact on existing uses of the language (e.g., the addition of new item entities, bug fixes in documentation, and bug fixes that are required for features that are otherwise not usable), and I have scheduled those for inclusion in 5.11.2. You can see that list here: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A5.11.2 For each issue scheduled, there is also a corresponding commit to the 5.11.2 branch that incorporates those changes. If you have a problem with or question about a change I have made, please make a comment on the relevant issue on the Github site. There’s another category of issues which I’ll call “good ideas that we really need to add ASAP”, but which could have an impact on existing content. Fortunately I’ve encountered only two of these: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/192 https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/238 I am working with RedHat on issue #238, although if anyone else has produced content for the linux:rpmverifyfile_test, please let me know so that I can add you to that conversation. If we make the change, I want to be reasonably certain we won’t prevent anyone's existing content from running properly in a 5.11.2 interpreter. Issue #192 is nuanced, and deals with the representation of certain negative 32-bit values in XML. If you’ve implemented any Windows tests and wondered for yourself about whether you should be checking for a value of -1 or 4294967295, then you might want to weigh in on this change. Additional changes are also under consideration, such as the new schema for Docker, using negative values for textfilecontent54/instance entities to search backwards through files, etc. I will also be making a few new proposals myself in the next few days. Best regards, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [val Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [cebook] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [nkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> ... . . . ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...
WM
William Munyan
Tue, Nov 29, 2016 6:05 PM

David/Adam/List,
I’ve taken a look at the issues on the 5.11.2 branch.  I’ve commented/asked a question or two on a few issues, but other than those few, I am satisfied with the changes!  Excellent work, David; I am sure it was quite an effort getting all of those issues coordinated.

Cheers,
-Bill M.

From: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.orgmailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>
Date: Monday, November 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM
To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.commailto:solin@jovalcm.com>, OVAL Developer List <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>

Has anyone any comment on the 5.11.2 branch David has updated?

From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of David Solin <solin@jovalcm.commailto:solin@jovalcm.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM
To: OVAL Developer List <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>

[...]

David/Adam/List, I’ve taken a look at the issues on the 5.11.2 branch. I’ve commented/asked a question or two on a few issues, but other than those few, I am satisfied with the changes! Excellent work, David; I am sure it was quite an effort getting all of those issues coordinated. Cheers, -Bill M. From: OVAL_Developer [mailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org] On Behalf Of Adam Montville Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:26 AM To: David Solin; OVAL Developer List Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] OVAL 5.11.2 Update Hi. If you have reviewed the 5.11.2 branch in GitHub, please let me know. Kind regards, Adam From: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org<mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>> Date: Monday, November 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>>, OVAL Developer List <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] OVAL 5.11.2 Update Has anyone any comment on the 5.11.2 branch David has updated? From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org>> on behalf of David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>> Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 9:02 PM To: OVAL Developer List <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>> Subject: [OVAL DEVELOPER] OVAL 5.11.2 Update Greetings OVAL Developers, At the last OVAL board meeting I volunteered to do the work required for the 5.11.2 revision of the OVAL language. For this revision, I have gone through the entire back-log of 100+ open issues on the OVAL Language Github site. Members of the OVAL community (i.e., people receiving this message) are welcome to check out the branch I’m working on and review the changes I have made. See: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/tree/5.11.2 A number of the outstanding issues were already implemented in the language (I have closed them). Others were well-specified and have virtually no impact on existing uses of the language (e.g., the addition of new item entities, bug fixes in documentation, and bug fixes that are required for features that are otherwise not usable), and I have scheduled those for inclusion in 5.11.2. You can see that list here: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A5.11.2 For each issue scheduled, there is also a corresponding commit to the 5.11.2 branch that incorporates those changes. If you have a problem with or question about a change I have made, please make a comment on the relevant issue on the Github site. There’s another category of issues which I’ll call “good ideas that we really need to add ASAP”, but which could have an impact on existing content. Fortunately I’ve encountered only two of these: https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/192 https://github.com/OVALProject/Language/issues/238 I am working with RedHat on issue #238, although if anyone else has produced content for the linux:rpmverifyfile_test, please let me know so that I can add you to that conversation. If we make the change, I want to be reasonably certain we won’t prevent anyone's existing content from running properly in a 5.11.2 interpreter. Issue #192 is nuanced, and deals with the representation of certain negative 32-bit values in XML. If you’ve implemented any Windows tests and wondered for yourself about whether you should be checking for a value of -1 or 4294967295, then you might want to weigh in on this change. Additional changes are also under consideration, such as the new schema for Docker, using negative values for textfilecontent54/instance entities to search backwards through files, etc. I will also be making a few new proposals myself in the next few days. Best regards, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [val Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [cebook] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [nkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> ... . . . ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... . . . ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...