oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org

A list for people interested in developing the OVAL language.

View all threads

Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021

AM
Adam Montville
Mon, Oct 26, 2020 1:06 PM

All:

Bill Munyan did some legwork on new work in the development branch (i.e. candidates for moving to stable). Some of the following are new, and others are updates to existing schemas.

Linux:

  • kernelmodule_test
  • sestatus_test

MacOS

  • (update) accountinfo_test
  • diskinfo_test
  • disabledservice_test
  • filevault_test
  • firmwarepassword_test
  • (update) gatekeeper_test
  • installhistory_test
  • nvram512_test
  • profiles_test
  • pwpolicy512_test
  • (update) rlimit_test

First, I’d like to validate this list with the community, so please respond with any corrections. When we have the right list, we’ll start looking for qualifying implementations between now and the February 2021 release.

Second, I’m proposing that we create a “release process” (or similar) issue type in GitHub, so that we can create issues related to stable releases each February and August. We could, for example, put this list in an appropriately labeled issue and track it from there. Open to suggestions on better ways to corral the work. Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Adam

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

[...]
DS
David Solin
Wed, Nov 4, 2020 4:20 PM

We should also consider the win-def:appcmd_test put forward by SPAWAR.

Also, we want to contribute our protocol schemas.  How should we go about that?

On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org wrote:

[...]

OVAL_Developer mailing list
OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org

We should also consider the win-def:appcmd_test put forward by SPAWAR. Also, we want to contribute our protocol schemas. How should we go about that? > On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> wrote: > > All: > > Bill Munyan did some legwork on new work in the development branch (i.e. candidates for moving to stable). Some of the following are new, and others are updates to existing schemas. > > Linux: > - kernelmodule_test > - sestatus_test > > MacOS > - (update) accountinfo_test > - diskinfo_test > - disabledservice_test > - filevault_test > - firmwarepassword_test > - (update) gatekeeper_test > - installhistory_test > - nvram512_test > - profiles_test > - pwpolicy512_test > - (update) rlimit_test > > First, I’d like to validate this list with the community, so please respond with any corrections. When we have the right list, we’ll start looking for qualifying implementations between now and the February 2021 release. > > Second, I’m proposing that we create a “release process” (or similar) issue type in GitHub, so that we can create issues related to stable releases each February and August. We could, for example, put this list in an appropriately labeled issue and track it from there. Open to suggestions on better ways to corral the work. Thoughts? > > Kind regards, > > Adam > > This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. _______________________________________________ > OVAL_Developer mailing list > OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> > http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org <http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org>
AM
Adam Montville
Wed, Nov 4, 2020 9:40 PM

Hi David,

Was the win-def:appcmd_test submitted as a PR? If we want to consider it, I think it should go through that process (assuming it hasn’t).

I think the same goes for your protocol schemas – submit them per the process.

Kind regards,

Adam

From: David Solin solin@jovalcm.com
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM
To: Adam Montville Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org
Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org
Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021

On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> wrote:

[...]

Hi David, Was the win-def:appcmd_test submitted as a PR? If we want to consider it, I think it should go through that process (assuming it hasn’t). I think the same goes for your protocol schemas – submit them per the process. Kind regards, Adam From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org> Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 We should also consider the win-def:appcmd_test put forward by SPAWAR. Also, we want to contribute our protocol schemas. How should we go about that? On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>> wrote: All: Bill Munyan did some legwork on new work in the development branch (i.e. candidates for moving to stable). Some of the following are new, and others are updates to existing schemas. Linux: - kernelmodule_test - sestatus_test MacOS - (update) accountinfo_test - diskinfo_test - disabledservice_test - filevault_test - firmwarepassword_test - (update) gatekeeper_test - installhistory_test - nvram512_test - profiles_test - pwpolicy512_test - (update) rlimit_test First, I’d like to validate this list with the community, so please respond with any corrections. When we have the right list, we’ll start looking for qualifying implementations between now and the February 2021 release. Second, I’m proposing that we create a “release process” (or similar) issue type in GitHub, so that we can create issues related to stable releases each February and August. We could, for example, put this list in an appropriately labeled issue and track it from there. Open to suggestions on better ways to corral the work. Thoughts? Kind regards, Adam This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org ..... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.
DS
David Solin
Thu, Nov 5, 2020 12:22 AM

The appcmd_test has an open issue associated with it:
https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/lmYLCjRgE7ijn80VTWEIGN?domain=github.com https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/lmYLCjRgE7ijn80VTWEIGN?domain=github.com

… but, I think no PR as yet.  I’m CCing Jack Vanderpol so hopefully he can tell us whether they're going to get around to it.

From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM
To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>
Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>

[...]

. . . . .

The appcmd_test has an open issue associated with it: https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/lmYLCjRgE7ijn80VTWEIGN?domain=github.com <https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/lmYLCjRgE7ijn80VTWEIGN?domain=github.com> … but, I think no PR as yet. I’m CCing Jack Vanderpol so hopefully he can tell us whether they're going to get around to it. > On Nov 4, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org> wrote: > > Hi David, > > Was the win-def:appcmd_test submitted as a PR? If we want to consider it, I think it should go through that process (assuming it hasn’t). > > I think the same goes for your protocol schemas – submit them per the process. > > Kind regards, > > Adam > > From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com <mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>> > Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM > To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org <mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>> > Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>> > Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 > > > > > We should also consider the win-def:appcmd_test put forward by SPAWAR. > > Also, we want to contribute our protocol schemas. How should we go about that? > > > On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>> wrote: > > All: > > Bill Munyan did some legwork on new work in the development branch (i.e. candidates for moving to stable). Some of the following are new, and others are updates to existing schemas. > > Linux: > - kernelmodule_test > - sestatus_test > > MacOS > - (update) accountinfo_test > - diskinfo_test > - disabledservice_test > - filevault_test > - firmwarepassword_test > - (update) gatekeeper_test > - installhistory_test > - nvram512_test > - profiles_test > - pwpolicy512_test > - (update) rlimit_test > > First, I’d like to validate this list with the community, so please respond with any corrections. When we have the right list, we’ll start looking for qualifying implementations between now and the February 2021 release. > > Second, I’m proposing that we create a “release process” (or similar) issue type in GitHub, so that we can create issues related to stable releases each February and August. We could, for example, put this list in an appropriately labeled issue and track it from there. Open to suggestions on better ways to corral the work. Thoughts? > > Kind regards, > > Adam > > This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. _______________________________________________ > OVAL_Developer mailing list > OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> > http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org <http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org> > > > ..... > > This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. > > . . . . .
VJ
Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA)
Thu, Nov 5, 2020 4:17 PM

I’m adding my team memer Bryan Wilson who did the original appcmd proposals.  Is there a new template for the PR that we need to be following?  If so, please share and we’ll complete it.  What’s our timeframe on it?

Below is the link to our original proposal:

https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/utPyC82zpPtj608QInGTXf?domain=github.com

Jack Vander Pol
NIWC Atlantic
Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.milmailto:Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil
Jack.vanderpol@navy.milmailto:Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil

From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com < Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com mailto:solin@jovalcm.com %3c Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com  > >
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM
To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  > >
Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  > >

On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  > > wrote:

OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org >
https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/uUdnC0Ro5vi2G504h2Eb2f < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/uUdnC0Ro5vi2G504h2Eb2f >

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

. . . . .

I’m adding my team memer Bryan Wilson who did the original appcmd proposals. Is there a new template for the PR that we need to be following? If so, please share and we’ll complete it. What’s our timeframe on it? Below is the link to our original proposal: https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/utPyC82zpPtj608QInGTXf?domain=github.com Jack Vander Pol NIWC Atlantic Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil<mailto:Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil> Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil<mailto:Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil> Cell: 843-607-7618 Office: 843-218-5851 From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 7:23 PM To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>; Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA) <jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil> Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 All active links contained in this email were disabled. Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser. ________________________________ The appcmd_test has an open issue associated with it: https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/ex48C9rAqRfmkXVxiE8PXo < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/ex48C9rAqRfmkXVxiE8PXo > … but, I think no PR as yet. I’m CCing Jack Vanderpol so hopefully he can tell us whether they're going to get around to it. On Nov 4, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org <mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org > > > wrote: Hi David, Was the win-def:appcmd_test submitted as a PR? If we want to consider it, I think it should go through that process (assuming it hasn’t). I think the same goes for your protocol schemas – submit them per the process. Kind regards, Adam From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com < Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com <mailto:solin@jovalcm.com %3c Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com > > > Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org <mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org > > > Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org > > > Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 We should also consider the win-def:appcmd_test put forward by SPAWAR. Also, we want to contribute our protocol schemas. How should we go about that? On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org > > > wrote: All: Bill Munyan did some legwork on new work in the development branch (i.e. candidates for moving to stable). Some of the following are new, and others are updates to existing schemas. Linux: - kernelmodule_test - sestatus_test MacOS - (update) accountinfo_test - diskinfo_test - disabledservice_test - filevault_test - firmwarepassword_test - (update) gatekeeper_test - installhistory_test - nvram512_test - profiles_test - pwpolicy512_test - (update) rlimit_test First, I’d like to validate this list with the community, so please respond with any corrections. When we have the right list, we’ll start looking for qualifying implementations between now and the February 2021 release. Second, I’m proposing that we create a “release process” (or similar) issue type in GitHub, so that we can create issues related to stable releases each February and August. We could, for example, put this list in an appropriately labeled issue and track it from there. Open to suggestions on better ways to corral the work. Thoughts? Kind regards, Adam This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> < Caution-mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org > https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/uUdnC0Ro5vi2G504h2Eb2f < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/uUdnC0Ro5vi2G504h2Eb2f > ..... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . . .
AM
Adam Montville
Thu, Nov 5, 2020 4:36 PM

Hi Jack,

You’re listed as the Area Supervisorhttps://oval-community-guidelines.readthedocs.io/en/latest/community-organization/area-supervisors.html#area-supervisors for Microsoft Schemas. So, at this point you should be working through any open issues with the proposal. Once the major issues are worked through, a PR can be created and the 14-day consensus call can be started. See what David Solin did with Issue #95https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/95 and the PR #96https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/pull/96. He also sent a note to the OVAL_Developer list.

After that 14-day consensus call passes without objection, then the PR can be merged into the “develop” branch.

Kind regards,

Adam

From: "Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA)" jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil
Date: Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 10:18 AM
To: David Solin solin@jovalcm.com, Adam Montville Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org, "Wilson, Bryan L CIV USN SPAWARSYSCEN LANT SC (USA)" bryan.l.wilson.civ@mail.mil
Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org

https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/77https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/77

From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com < Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com mailto:solin@jovalcm.com %3c Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com  > >
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM
To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  > >
Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  > >

Caution-http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.orgCaution-http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.orgCaution-http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org >

Hi Jack, You’re listed as the Area Supervisor<https://oval-community-guidelines.readthedocs.io/en/latest/community-organization/area-supervisors.html#area-supervisors> for Microsoft Schemas. So, at this point you should be working through any open issues with the proposal. Once the major issues are worked through, a PR can be created and the 14-day consensus call can be started. See what David Solin did with Issue #95<https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/95> and the PR #96<https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/pull/96>. He also sent a note to the OVAL_Developer list. After that 14-day consensus call passes without objection, then the PR can be merged into the “develop” branch. Kind regards, Adam From: "Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA)" <jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil> Date: Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 10:18 AM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com>, Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>, "Wilson, Bryan L CIV USN SPAWARSYSCEN LANT SC (USA)" <bryan.l.wilson.civ@mail.mil> Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 I’m adding my team memer Bryan Wilson who did the original appcmd proposals. Is there a new template for the PR that we need to be following? If so, please share and we’ll complete it. What’s our timeframe on it? Below is the link to our original proposal: https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/77<https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/77> Jack Vander Pol NIWC Atlantic Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil<mailto:Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil> Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil<mailto:Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil> Cell: 843-607-7618 Office: 843-218-5851 From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 7:23 PM To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>; Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA) <jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil> Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 All active links contained in this email were disabled. Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser. ________________________________ The appcmd_test has an open issue associated with it: Caution-https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/76<Caution-https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/76> < Caution-https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/76<Caution-https://github.com/OVAL-Community/OVAL/issues/76> > … but, I think no PR as yet. I’m CCing Jack Vanderpol so hopefully he can tell us whether they're going to get around to it. On Nov 4, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org <mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org > > > wrote: Hi David, Was the win-def:appcmd_test submitted as a PR? If we want to consider it, I think it should go through that process (assuming it hasn’t). I think the same goes for your protocol schemas – submit them per the process. Kind regards, Adam From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com < Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com <mailto:solin@jovalcm.com %3c Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com > > > Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org <mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org > > > Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org > > > Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 We should also consider the win-def:appcmd_test put forward by SPAWAR. Also, we want to contribute our protocol schemas. How should we go about that? On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org > > > wrote: All: Bill Munyan did some legwork on new work in the development branch (i.e. candidates for moving to stable). Some of the following are new, and others are updates to existing schemas. Linux: - kernelmodule_test - sestatus_test MacOS - (update) accountinfo_test - diskinfo_test - disabledservice_test - filevault_test - firmwarepassword_test - (update) gatekeeper_test - installhistory_test - nvram512_test - profiles_test - pwpolicy512_test - (update) rlimit_test First, I’d like to validate this list with the community, so please respond with any corrections. When we have the right list, we’ll start looking for qualifying implementations between now and the February 2021 release. Second, I’m proposing that we create a “release process” (or similar) issue type in GitHub, so that we can create issues related to stable releases each February and August. We could, for example, put this list in an appropriately labeled issue and track it from there. Open to suggestions on better ways to corral the work. Thoughts? Kind regards, Adam This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> < Caution-mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org > Caution-http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org<Caution-http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org> < Caution-http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org<Caution-http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org> > ..... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . . . ..... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.
VJ
Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA)
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 9:24 PM

Adam,

I can claim expertise in OVAL and Windows which is why I volunteered to be the Windows area manager, but with regards to using Github, I’m a noob, and I when I see anything related to github repository maintenance, my eyes pretty much glaze over…  If the area supervisors responsibilities listed github maintenance, I’d probably either be a bit more of a github guru by now, or honestly let someone else do the area duties.

I’ll do some research and see what it takes.

Jack

From: "Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA)" <jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.milmailto:jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil>
Date: Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 10:18 AM
To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.commailto:solin@jovalcm.com>, Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.orgmailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>, "Wilson, Bryan L CIV USN SPAWARSYSCEN LANT SC (USA)" <bryan.l.wilson.civ@mail.milmailto:bryan.l.wilson.civ@mail.mil>
Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>

I’m adding my team memer Bryan Wilson who did the original appcmd proposals.  Is there a new template for the PR that we need to be following?  If so, please share and we’ll complete it.  What’s our timeframe on it?

Below is the link to our original proposal:

https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/o3tMCo2nMptXD07Qf6qVbW < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/o3tMCo2nMptXD07Qf6qVbW >

Jack Vander Pol
NIWC Atlantic
Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.milmailto:Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil < Caution-mailto:Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil >
Jack.vanderpol@navy.milmailto:Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil < Caution-mailto:Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil >

Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM
To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org   > > >
Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org   > > >

On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org   > > > wrote:

OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org >  < Caution-Caution-mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org >
https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Qn-mCqxpOwHO1opVsrjHVG < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Qn-mCqxpOwHO1opVsrjHVG >  < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Qn-mCqxpOwHO1opVsrjHVG < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Qn-mCqxpOwHO1opVsrjHVG >  >

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

. . . . .

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

. . . . .

Adam, I can claim expertise in OVAL and Windows which is why I volunteered to be the Windows area manager, but with regards to using Github, I’m a noob, and I when I see anything related to github repository maintenance, my eyes pretty much glaze over… If the area supervisors responsibilities listed github maintenance, I’d probably either be a bit more of a github guru by now, or honestly let someone else do the area duties. I’ll do some research and see what it takes. Jack From: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org> Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 11:37 AM To: Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA) <jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil>; David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com>; Wilson, Bryan L CIV USN SPAWARSYSCEN LANT SC (USA) <bryan.l.wilson.civ@mail.mil> Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 All active links contained in this email were disabled. Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser. ________________________________ Hi Jack, You’re listed as theArea Supervisor < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/8MJeClYkJjUo1vBjuG6hh0 > for Microsoft Schemas. So, at this point you should be working through any open issues with the proposal. Once the major issues are worked through, a PR can be created and the 14-day consensus call can be started. See what David Solin did with Issue #95 < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Vh-YCmZ0Klt5prm9IOn1BC > and the PR#96 < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/96NTCn5mLntGXYJkhNjVQk > . He also sent a note to the OVAL_Developer list. After that 14-day consensus call passes without objection, then the PR can be merged into the “develop” branch. Kind regards, Adam From: "Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA)" <jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil<mailto:jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil>> Date: Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 10:18 AM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>>, Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org<mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>>, "Wilson, Bryan L CIV USN SPAWARSYSCEN LANT SC (USA)" <bryan.l.wilson.civ@mail.mil<mailto:bryan.l.wilson.civ@mail.mil>> Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>> Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 I’m adding my team memer Bryan Wilson who did the original appcmd proposals. Is there a new template for the PR that we need to be following? If so, please share and we’ll complete it. What’s our timeframe on it? Below is the link to our original proposal: https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/o3tMCo2nMptXD07Qf6qVbW < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/o3tMCo2nMptXD07Qf6qVbW > Jack Vander Pol NIWC Atlantic Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil<mailto:Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil> < Caution-mailto:Jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil > Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil<mailto:Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil> < Caution-mailto:Jack.vanderpol@navy.mil > Cell: 843-607-7618 Office: 843-218-5851 From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>> Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 7:23 PM To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org<mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org>>; Vanderpol, Jack R CIV USN NIWC ATLANTIC SC (USA) <jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil<mailto:jack.r.vanderpol.civ@mail.mil>> Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>> Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 All active links contained in this email were disabled. Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser. ________________________________ The appcmd_test has an open issue associated with it: https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/u3zuCpYoNrUz9Bj7cJa0Wr < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/u3zuCpYoNrUz9Bj7cJa0Wr > < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/u3zuCpYoNrUz9Bj7cJa0Wr < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/u3zuCpYoNrUz9Bj7cJa0Wr > > … but, I think no PR as yet. I’m CCing Jack Vanderpol so hopefully he can tell us whether they're going to get around to it. On Nov 4, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org <mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  > > > > wrote: Hi David, Was the win-def:appcmd_test submitted as a PR? If we want to consider it, I think it should go through that process (assuming it hasn’t). I think the same goes for your protocol schemas – submit them per the process. Kind regards, Adam From: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com < Caution-Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com < Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com <mailto:solin@jovalcm.com %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com  %3c Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:solin@jovalcm.com  > > > > Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM To: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org <mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  %3c Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org  > > > > Cc: William Munyan via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  > > > > Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Preparing for Stable Release in February 2021 We should also consider the win-def:appcmd_test put forward by SPAWAR. Also, we want to contribute our protocol schemas. How should we go about that? On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Adam Montville via OVAL_Developer <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org < Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  %3c Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org %3c Caution-Caution-mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org  > > > > wrote: All: Bill Munyan did some legwork on new work in the development branch (i.e. candidates for moving to stable). Some of the following are new, and others are updates to existing schemas. Linux: - kernelmodule_test - sestatus_test MacOS - (update) accountinfo_test - diskinfo_test - disabledservice_test - filevault_test - firmwarepassword_test - (update) gatekeeper_test - installhistory_test - nvram512_test - profiles_test - pwpolicy512_test - (update) rlimit_test First, I’d like to validate this list with the community, so please respond with any corrections. When we have the right list, we’ll start looking for qualifying implementations between now and the February 2021 release. Second, I’m proposing that we create a “release process” (or similar) issue type in GitHub, so that we can create issues related to stable releases each February and August. We could, for example, put this list in an appropriately labeled issue and track it from there. Open to suggestions on better ways to corral the work. Thoughts? Kind regards, Adam This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> < Caution-mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org > < Caution-Caution-mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org > https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Qn-mCqxpOwHO1opVsrjHVG < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Qn-mCqxpOwHO1opVsrjHVG > < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Qn-mCqxpOwHO1opVsrjHVG < https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Qn-mCqxpOwHO1opVsrjHVG > > ..... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . . . ..... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . . .