oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org

A list for people interested in developing the OVAL language.

View all threads

Schema proposal for Docker

WM
William Munyan
Thu, Aug 11, 2016 6:14 PM

OVAL Folks,
I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker.  The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149.  Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc.

Cheers,
-Bill M.

-Bill Munyan
Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT
Security Controls & Automation
Center for Internet Security
(518) 880-0690
www.cisecurity.orghttp://www.cisecurity.org/
Follow us @CISecurity

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

. . .

OVAL Folks, I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. Cheers, -Bill M. -Bill Munyan Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT Security Controls & Automation Center for Internet Security (518) 880-0690 www.cisecurity.org<http://www.cisecurity.org/> Follow us @CISecurity This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...
DS
David Solin
Thu, Aug 11, 2016 6:25 PM

Hi Bill,

FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?).

Best,
—David Solin

David A. Solin
Co-Founder, Research & Technology
solin@jovalcm.com mailto:solin@jovalcm.com
http://jovalcm.com/
  https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan william.munyan@cisecurity.org wrote:

OVAL Folks,
I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker.  The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149 https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149.  Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc.

Cheers,
-Bill M.

-Bill Munyan
Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT
Security Controls & Automation
Center for Internet Security
(518) 880-0690
www.cisecurity.org http://www.cisecurity.org/
Follow us @CISecurity

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.
. . .

OVAL_Developer mailing list
OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org

Hi Bill, FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?). Best, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com <mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> <http://jovalcm.com/>   <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> > On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.org> wrote: > > OVAL Folks, > I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149 <https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149>. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. > > Cheers, > -Bill M. > > -Bill Munyan > Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT > Security Controls & Automation > Center for Internet Security > (518) 880-0690 > www.cisecurity.org <http://www.cisecurity.org/> > Follow us @CISecurity > > This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. > . . . > > ... > _______________________________________________ > OVAL_Developer mailing list > OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> > http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org <http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org> ...
WM
William Munyan
Thu, Aug 11, 2016 6:31 PM

David,
The shell command stuff and SUSE should have been removed as part of the commits/pull requests etc….  I had a request to separate out the SUSE, Shell Command stuff so I removed them.  It is very possible I did something wrong via Git, but the only files in the PR should pertain to Docker.

Cheers,
-Bill M.

[Joval Continuous Monitoring]http://jovalcm.com
[Facebook] https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm [Linkedin] https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.orgmailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org> wrote:

[...]

David, The shell command stuff and SUSE should have been removed as part of the commits/pull requests etc…. I had a request to separate out the SUSE, Shell Command stuff so I removed them. It is very possible I did something wrong via Git, but the only files in the PR should pertain to Docker. Cheers, -Bill M. From: David Solin [mailto:solin@jovalcm.com] Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:25 PM To: William Munyan Cc: Oval; oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Hi Bill, FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?). Best, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [Joval Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [Linkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org>> wrote: OVAL Folks, I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. Cheers, -Bill M. -Bill Munyan Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT Security Controls & Automation Center for Internet Security (518) 880-0690 www.cisecurity.org<http://www.cisecurity.org/> Follow us @CISecurity This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...
DR
David Ries
Thu, Aug 11, 2016 7:44 PM

Hi Bill,

I’m very excited to see proposed support for Docker. Thanks for making this happen!

Have you been able to engage the Docker team or any other authoritative Docker domain experts in the creation of this schema? I’m not questioning your expertise in any way, but I know that in the past, schemas have benefited greatly when authoritative parties get involved.

Best,
David

On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:31 PM, William Munyan William.Munyan@cisecurity.org wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill, I’m very excited to see proposed support for Docker. Thanks for making this happen! Have you been able to engage the Docker team or any other authoritative Docker domain experts in the creation of this schema? I’m not questioning your expertise in any way, but I know that in the past, schemas have benefited greatly when authoritative parties get involved. Best, David > On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:31 PM, William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org> wrote: > > David, > The shell command stuff and SUSE should have been removed as part of the commits/pull requests etc…. I had a request to separate out the SUSE, Shell Command stuff so I removed them. It is very possible I did something wrong via Git, but the only files in the PR should pertain to Docker. > > Cheers, > -Bill M. > > From: David Solin [mailto:solin@jovalcm.com <mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>] > Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:25 PM > To: William Munyan > Cc: Oval; oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> > Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker > > Hi Bill, > > FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?). > > Best, > —David Solin > > David A. Solin > Co-Founder, Research & Technology > solin@jovalcm.com <mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> > <http://jovalcm.com/> >   <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> > > On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.org <mailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org>> wrote: > > OVAL Folks, > I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149 <https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149>. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. > > Cheers, > -Bill M. > > -Bill Munyan > Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT > Security Controls & Automation > Center for Internet Security > (518) 880-0690 > www.cisecurity.org <http://www.cisecurity.org/> > Follow us @CISecurity > > This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. > . . . > > ... > _______________________________________________ > OVAL_Developer mailing list > OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> > http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org <http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org> > > > ... > This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. > . . . > > ... > _______________________________________________ > OVAL_Developer mailing list > OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org <mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> > http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org <http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org> David E. Ries Co-Founder, Business Development ries@jovalcm.com <mailto:ries@jovalcm.com> <http://jovalcm.com/> <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> ...
MP
Martin Preisler
Fri, Aug 12, 2016 2:44 PM

[acebook] https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm [inkedin] https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

[...]

Bill, So why was the shellcommand_test supposed to be removed? --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org> Date: Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker David, The shell command stuff and SUSE should have been removed as part of the commits/pull requests etc…. I had a request to separate out the SUSE, Shell Command stuff so I removed them. It is very possible I did something wrong via Git, but the only files in the PR should pertain to Docker. Cheers, -Bill M. From: David Solin [mailto:solin@jovalcm.com] Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:25 PM To: William Munyan Cc: Oval; oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Hi Bill, FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?). Best, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [oval Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [acebook] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [inkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org>> wrote: OVAL Folks, I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. Cheers, -Bill M. -Bill Munyan Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT Security Controls & Automation Center for Internet Security (518) 880-0690 www.cisecurity.org<http://www.cisecurity.org/> Follow us @CISecurity This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... ...
WM
William Munyan
Fri, Aug 12, 2016 4:40 PM

Kent,
Sorry for any confusion here.  There was a comment on the initial PR, requesting that the different schema proposals be separated out into individual PRs.  I was having Git-related issues yesterday and as such had to redo some of my PRs.

Also, I am not 100% positive that I wanted to re-propose my shell command extension, as I understand people’s opposition to it, based on an intent of OVAL to abstract away the commands, and not allowing arbitrary commands to be executed on a system.  I can certainly re-add the shell command extension as a separate PR in order to engage discussion on the topic, though.

Cheers,
-Bill M.

From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.orgmailto:William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>

[...]

Kent, Sorry for any confusion here. There was a comment on the initial PR, requesting that the different schema proposals be separated out into individual PRs. I was having Git-related issues yesterday and as such had to redo some of my PRs. Also, I am not 100% positive that I wanted to re-propose my shell command extension, as I understand people’s opposition to it, based on an intent of OVAL to abstract away the commands, and not allowing arbitrary commands to be executed on a system. I can certainly re-add the shell command extension as a separate PR in order to engage discussion on the topic, though. Cheers, -Bill M. From: Landfield, Kent B [mailto:kent.b.landfield@intel.com] Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 12:34 PM To: William Munyan; David Solin Cc: oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org; Oval Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Bill, So why was the shellcommand_test supposed to be removed? --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org>> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>> Date: Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org<mailto:oval@cisecurity.org>> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker David, The shell command stuff and SUSE should have been removed as part of the commits/pull requests etc…. I had a request to separate out the SUSE, Shell Command stuff so I removed them. It is very possible I did something wrong via Git, but the only files in the PR should pertain to Docker. Cheers, -Bill M. From: David Solin [mailto:solin@jovalcm.com] Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:25 PM To: William Munyan Cc: Oval; oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Hi Bill, FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?). Best, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [oval Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [acebook] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [inkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org>> wrote: OVAL Folks, I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. Cheers, -Bill M. -Bill Munyan Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT Security Controls & Automation Center for Internet Security (518) 880-0690 www.cisecurity.org<http://www.cisecurity.org/> Follow us @CISecurity This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...
LK
Landfield, Kent B
Tue, Aug 23, 2016 7:16 PM

So why are we still thinking like this?  There is history here with MITRE and positioning OVAL’s checking capabilities, but that never was the need of the language or the users.  Customers have been asking for this flexibility for years and even when there was real movement in this direction, it was blocked by the Moderator.  I am not faulting MITRE for doing things in their best interest but it really was counter to OVAL’s adoption.

If sites have something they are already running that is a capability OVAL does not have, why would you want to restrict them and not allow the flexibility this type of capability would provide?  This has had the effect of inhibiting adoption since organizations have now spent a good deal of time and effort debugging something they cannot use with OVAL.  Guess what happens…  OVAL loses out.

As for the security concerns….  Let’s get real here.  XCCDF has this kind of capability since the beginning and I have yet to hear of a site being compromised using this capability.  That has been used as a red herring for just about as long…

Do others really want to not have a scripting capability?

Kent Landfield
+1.817.637.8026

From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.orgmailto:William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>

[cebook] https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm [nkedin] https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

[...]

So why are we still thinking like this? There is history here with MITRE and positioning OVAL’s checking capabilities, but that never was the need of the language or the users. Customers have been asking for this flexibility for years and even when there was real movement in this direction, it was blocked by the Moderator. I am not faulting MITRE for doing things in their best interest but it really was counter to OVAL’s adoption. If sites have something they are already running that is a capability OVAL does not have, why would you want to restrict them and not allow the flexibility this type of capability would provide? This has had the effect of inhibiting adoption since organizations have now spent a good deal of time and effort debugging something they cannot use with OVAL. Guess what happens… OVAL loses out. As for the security concerns…. Let’s get real here. XCCDF has this kind of capability since the beginning and I have yet to hear of a site being compromised using this capability. That has been used as a red herring for just about as long… Do others really want to not have a scripting capability? --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org> Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:40 AM To: Kent Landfield <kent.b.landfield@intel.com>, David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org> Subject: RE: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Kent, Sorry for any confusion here. There was a comment on the initial PR, requesting that the different schema proposals be separated out into individual PRs. I was having Git-related issues yesterday and as such had to redo some of my PRs. Also, I am not 100% positive that I wanted to re-propose my shell command extension, as I understand people’s opposition to it, based on an intent of OVAL to abstract away the commands, and not allowing arbitrary commands to be executed on a system. I can certainly re-add the shell command extension as a separate PR in order to engage discussion on the topic, though. Cheers, -Bill M. From: Landfield, Kent B [mailto:kent.b.landfield@intel.com] Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 12:34 PM To: William Munyan; David Solin Cc: oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org; Oval Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Bill, So why was the shellcommand_test supposed to be removed? --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org>> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>> Date: Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org<mailto:oval@cisecurity.org>> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker David, The shell command stuff and SUSE should have been removed as part of the commits/pull requests etc…. I had a request to separate out the SUSE, Shell Command stuff so I removed them. It is very possible I did something wrong via Git, but the only files in the PR should pertain to Docker. Cheers, -Bill M. From: David Solin [mailto:solin@jovalcm.com] Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:25 PM To: William Munyan Cc: Oval; oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Hi Bill, FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?). Best, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [val Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [cebook] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [nkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org>> wrote: OVAL Folks, I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. Cheers, -Bill M. -Bill Munyan Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT Security Controls & Automation Center for Internet Security (518) 880-0690 www.cisecurity.org<http://www.cisecurity.org/> Follow us @CISecurity This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...
AM
Adam Montville
Tue, Aug 23, 2016 7:40 PM

Hi Kent,

It seems that you are in favor of reopening this discussion.  We agree (Bill originally created the test for a reason).

Bill indicated that he’d be happy to submit another PR containing that shellcommand_test.  I say submit it, and let the discussion begin.

Do others have an opinion?

Adam

From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.orgmailto:William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>

[ebook] https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm [kedin] https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

[...]

Hi Kent, It seems that you are in favor of reopening this discussion. We agree (Bill originally created the test for a reason). Bill indicated that he’d be happy to submit another PR containing that shellcommand_test. I say submit it, and let the discussion begin. Do others have an opinion? Adam From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of "Landfield, Kent B" <kent.b.landfield@intel.com> Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:16 PM To: William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>, David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>, Adam Montville <oval@cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker So why are we still thinking like this? There is history here with MITRE and positioning OVAL’s checking capabilities, but that never was the need of the language or the users. Customers have been asking for this flexibility for years and even when there was real movement in this direction, it was blocked by the Moderator. I am not faulting MITRE for doing things in their best interest but it really was counter to OVAL’s adoption. If sites have something they are already running that is a capability OVAL does not have, why would you want to restrict them and not allow the flexibility this type of capability would provide? This has had the effect of inhibiting adoption since organizations have now spent a good deal of time and effort debugging something they cannot use with OVAL. Guess what happens… OVAL loses out. As for the security concerns…. Let’s get real here. XCCDF has this kind of capability since the beginning and I have yet to hear of a site being compromised using this capability. That has been used as a red herring for just about as long… Do others really want to not have a scripting capability? --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org> Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:40 AM To: Kent Landfield <kent.b.landfield@intel.com>, David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org> Subject: RE: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Kent, Sorry for any confusion here. There was a comment on the initial PR, requesting that the different schema proposals be separated out into individual PRs. I was having Git-related issues yesterday and as such had to redo some of my PRs. Also, I am not 100% positive that I wanted to re-propose my shell command extension, as I understand people’s opposition to it, based on an intent of OVAL to abstract away the commands, and not allowing arbitrary commands to be executed on a system. I can certainly re-add the shell command extension as a separate PR in order to engage discussion on the topic, though. Cheers, -Bill M. From: Landfield, Kent B [mailto:kent.b.landfield@intel.com] Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 12:34 PM To: William Munyan; David Solin Cc: oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org; Oval Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Bill, So why was the shellcommand_test supposed to be removed? --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org>> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>> Date: Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org<mailto:oval@cisecurity.org>> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker David, The shell command stuff and SUSE should have been removed as part of the commits/pull requests etc…. I had a request to separate out the SUSE, Shell Command stuff so I removed them. It is very possible I did something wrong via Git, but the only files in the PR should pertain to Docker. Cheers, -Bill M. From: David Solin [mailto:solin@jovalcm.com] Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:25 PM To: William Munyan Cc: Oval; oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Hi Bill, FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?). Best, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [al Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [ebook] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [kedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org>> wrote: OVAL Folks, I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. Cheers, -Bill M. -Bill Munyan Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT Security Controls & Automation Center for Internet Security (518) 880-0690 www.cisecurity.org<http://www.cisecurity.org/> Follow us @CISecurity This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... . . . ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...
LK
Landfield, Kent B
Tue, Aug 23, 2016 7:43 PM

Yes, I am in favor of reopening the discussion. ;-)

Kent Landfield
+1.817.637.8026

From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.orgmailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.orgmailto:William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>

[book] https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm [edin] https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring

Yes, I am in favor of reopening the discussion. ;-) --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: Adam Montville <Adam.Montville@cisecurity.org> Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:40 PM To: Kent Landfield <kent.b.landfield@intel.com>, William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>, David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Hi Kent, It seems that you are in favor of reopening this discussion. We agree (Bill originally created the test for a reason). Bill indicated that he’d be happy to submit another PR containing that shellcommand_test. I say submit it, and let the discussion begin. Do others have an opinion? Adam From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org> on behalf of "Landfield, Kent B" <kent.b.landfield@intel.com> Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:16 PM To: William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>, David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>, Adam Montville <oval@cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker So why are we still thinking like this? There is history here with MITRE and positioning OVAL’s checking capabilities, but that never was the need of the language or the users. Customers have been asking for this flexibility for years and even when there was real movement in this direction, it was blocked by the Moderator. I am not faulting MITRE for doing things in their best interest but it really was counter to OVAL’s adoption. If sites have something they are already running that is a capability OVAL does not have, why would you want to restrict them and not allow the flexibility this type of capability would provide? This has had the effect of inhibiting adoption since organizations have now spent a good deal of time and effort debugging something they cannot use with OVAL. Guess what happens… OVAL loses out. As for the security concerns…. Let’s get real here. XCCDF has this kind of capability since the beginning and I have yet to hear of a site being compromised using this capability. That has been used as a red herring for just about as long… Do others really want to not have a scripting capability? --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org> Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:40 AM To: Kent Landfield <kent.b.landfield@intel.com>, David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org> Subject: RE: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Kent, Sorry for any confusion here. There was a comment on the initial PR, requesting that the different schema proposals be separated out into individual PRs. I was having Git-related issues yesterday and as such had to redo some of my PRs. Also, I am not 100% positive that I wanted to re-propose my shell command extension, as I understand people’s opposition to it, based on an intent of OVAL to abstract away the commands, and not allowing arbitrary commands to be executed on a system. I can certainly re-add the shell command extension as a separate PR in order to engage discussion on the topic, though. Cheers, -Bill M. From: Landfield, Kent B [mailto:kent.b.landfield@intel.com] Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 12:34 PM To: William Munyan; David Solin Cc: oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org; Oval Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Bill, So why was the shellcommand_test supposed to be removed? --- Kent Landfield +1.817.637.8026 From: OVAL_Developer <oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer-bounces@lists.cisecurity.org>> on behalf of William Munyan <William.Munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:William.Munyan@cisecurity.org>> Date: Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM To: David Solin <solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com>> Cc: "oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>" <oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org>>, Oval <oval@cisecurity.org<mailto:oval@cisecurity.org>> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker David, The shell command stuff and SUSE should have been removed as part of the commits/pull requests etc…. I had a request to separate out the SUSE, Shell Command stuff so I removed them. It is very possible I did something wrong via Git, but the only files in the PR should pertain to Docker. Cheers, -Bill M. From: David Solin [mailto:solin@jovalcm.com] Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:25 PM To: William Munyan Cc: Oval; oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:oval_developer@lists.cisecurity.org> Subject: Re: [OVAL DEVELOPER] Schema proposal for Docker Hi Bill, FYI, your pull request also contains a shellcommand_test (and I swear there were some SUSE tests but they seem to have disappeared?). Best, —David Solin David A. Solin Co-Founder, Research & Technology solin@jovalcm.com<mailto:solin@jovalcm.com> [l Continuous Monitoring]<http://jovalcm.com> [book] <https://www.facebook.com/jovalcm> [edin] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/joval-continuous-monitoring> On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:14 PM, William Munyan <william.munyan@cisecurity.org<mailto:william.munyan@cisecurity.org>> wrote: OVAL Folks, I have added a pull request to the OVAL Language Sandbox for an extension schema for Docker. The pull request can be found here -- https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/pull/149. Thanks for any considerations, questions, comments, feedback, etc. Cheers, -Bill M. -Bill Munyan Technical Product Executive :: CIS-CAT Security Controls & Automation Center for Internet Security (518) 880-0690 www.cisecurity.org<http://www.cisecurity.org/> Follow us @CISecurity This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... _______________________________________________ OVAL_Developer mailing list OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org<mailto:OVAL_Developer@lists.cisecurity.org> http://lists.cisecurity.org/mailman/listinfo/oval_developer_lists.cisecurity.org ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ... . . . ... This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. . . . ...