[OVAL DEVELOPER] Clarification about priority entity

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Oracle.COM
Thu Apr 14 12:14:09 EDT 2016

On 04/14/16 16:57, David Solin wrote:
> I can say that there appears to be no equivalent on AIX, HP-UX, Solaris,
> BSD or MacOSX to the ‘priority’ Standard Format Specifier.  The ps
> command on all versions of Unix (including Linux) do, however, have
> specifiers for both ‘pri’ (for priority) and ‘nice’.  The ‘nice’
> identifier gives you a value that can be feed into the nice command.
>
> On Linux it seems you can generally compute the ‘pri’, ‘nice’, and
> ‘priority’ values from one-another (note, however, that many possible
> pri and priority values are out-of-range for ‘nice’, and also not that
> these conversions DO NOT HOLD for other Unix variants, or if it does,
> the rules seem to depend on the scheduling class):
> nice = priority - 20
> pri = 39 - priority

Solaris has distinct priority and nice values. It also has many have
different scheduling classes.

Below is some trimmed output from my Solaris desktop system.  Note that
there are different priorities, and nice values as well as multiple
different scheduling classes in use.

$ps -o class,pri,nice,comm -efa
  CLS PRI NI COMMAND
  SYS  96 SY sched
  SDC  99 SD zpool-rpool
  SDC  99 SD kmem_task
   TS  59 20 /usr/sbin/init
  SYS  98 SY pageout
   TS  59 20 /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon
   TS  59 20 /lib/svc/bin/svc.startd
   TS  59 20 /lib/svc/bin/svc.configd
   TS  59 20 /usr/lib/pfexecd
   FX  60  0 /lib/crypto/kcfd
   TS  59 20 /usr/sbin/sysobjd
   TS  59 20 /usr/sbin/ibmgmtd
   IA  59 20 /usr/lib/gvfsd
   IA  59 20 /opt/onbld/bin/i386/cscope-fast
   IA  59 20 /bin/zsh
   IA  59 20 ssh
   IA  48 20 vi

--