[OVAL DEVELOPER] Solaris packageAvoidList item? FMRI?

Ulmer, John R. JOHN.R.ULMER at saic.com
Tue Nov 17 09:46:45 EST 2015

Regarding the Solaris packageavoidlist items.

Given that:
-  'pkg avoid' returns only the 'name' of the avoided package and not the full FMRI, and
-  I don't see another/better way to query which packages are tagged to 'avoid,' and
- the full FMRI is not available on a system on which a package is not installed and has no access to a repository.

It would seem that since only the name of the package is returned by 'pkg avoid' and since a given package name could conceivably be sourced from more than one publisher, it is impossible to determine the FMRI for a given package.

Also, the  documents at https://github.com/OVALProject/Sandbox/tree/master/resources/x-solaris-updates/content/packageavoidlist_test show a 'name' field in the state and item rather than an FMRI field.  The schema (the actual xsd file) requires the 'fmri.'

Should the packageAvoidList state and item contain just the package name?
Or, if the FMRI is the correct information, how do we assure that we have the correct package FMRI when we only have the package name to work off of?

Thanks,
John R.  Ulmer
SPAWAR Systems Center Atlantic
(843)218-5953